Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Flashback Friday - Let the Fun & Games Begin!

Hello friends!
We are finally here on Friday!  It's hard to believe we are already at the end of the first week in August!  This Summer is just flying by quickly!

I'm here to share with you a "Flashback" of a new theme month for my time last year during my Splitcoaststampers Dirty Dozen DT.

*As I mentioned in my June (2017) "Flashback Friday" posts, that although these are previously made creations, I have never posted them on my blog up until now.  The only way you may have seen them before is if you are apart of the Splitcoaststampers Fan Club, as I made these last year during my time as a Dirty Dozen DT member and only SCS fan club members would've been able to see them.  I am posting them here for you as a "Flashback Friday" post so that those of you who are not fan club members are still able to see what I created for it.  I was not allowed to post them anywhere else at that time until 6 months had passed...so now I'm sharing them a year later with you as they were shown on SCS.  I hope you enjoy these creations clear up until the end of November!*

--------------------------------------
  The theme for the month of August was:  "Fun & Games"!
--------------------------------------
The thing that I loved about the themes for each month was that you could create anything you wanted as long as you told how it fit the theme.  This was a fun month for me to experiment in many different ranges of styles and designs...which is something I love to do if you've followed me for a while! :)  You never know what you're really going to get with me!

So the best place I thought to start is simply with the upload I listed as my favorite for the month:
I made a fun Vintage Domino Wall Hanging.
CLICK HERE to see the original upload on SCS.  (Fan Club Members only)

Here's what I said about it on my original upload:
"What's more fun than taking real game pieces to create art! My favorite art form that I hardly ever get to do is actually Vintage altered art! I am so happy that I took the time to just PLAY with this! I pulled out some very old stamps and other old items from my stash including these dominoes that will probably never be used for their original intent and just had fun. I always have these big plans to do many projects like this that never seem to get past my brain, so I was happy to take the time to do this one. My plans go way beyond metal tins and dominoes....I would love to refurbish old furniture and I actually have some things lined up with it...maybe someday!! :)"

I pulled out an old tin container I had and split it in half.  The holes were already there from the hinge, so I just decided to use that to thread the wire hanger through at the top.  I painted the outside edges and back of the tin lid with acrylic paint and used some Inka Gold to rub all over it in various places.  I took a piece of lace patterned paper to cut it to fit the inside of the tin, but distressed the edges of it a bit before gluing it in place.

For the domino pieces, I stamped them with Staz On inks and used some alchohol inks to drop in some mixture of colors here and there.  I painted the edges of the dominoes with a gold paint pen.  You'll notice on two of the dominoes that I've added some metal decorative corners.  Those are from Tim Holtz...they fit perfectly around the dominos!

After stamping on the dominos I glued them in place of the patterned paper and then added some more details with the key charms, stamped accent, lace, pearls, ribbons, tag, etc.  The seam binding ribbon was colored with inks and gold shimmer sprays.

Last month, we had our local county fair going on, so I thought I would take a few of my items and enter them into the fair.  (We were aloud to enter items that were made no later than 5 years ago.)
 I'm honored to say that this particular piece won a first place!
I have this hanging in my craft room and still enjoy it.
I hope to maybe play some more with altering from my old stash...I find it to be lots of fun! :)

Have you done any art with old game pieces?

Thanks so much for dropping by today and I hope you've enjoyed this Flashback and I will be back next Friday with more creations using this theme.
Have a wonderful weekend!

(Since this was a previously made creation, I won't enter it in any challenges.)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


29 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Well, I'm not surprised that that gorgeous creation won a first prize! BIG congratulations! Hugs, Valerie

Linda Simpson said...

Congratulations, this is absolutely stunning!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Margreet said...

Your wallhanger is awesome and beautifully made Vicki...no wonder it won the first prize!
Have a great weekend!
xxx Margreet

Lois Wyche said...

This is such a gorgeous work of art, Vicki. I'm glad you shared it with us.

Kim said...

This wallhanging is AmAzInG!!! Congrats on first place.

Tammy said...

WOW Vicki, this wall hanging is amazing!! I love how you altered the domino pieces and the embellishments are stunning! Gorgeous work of art, no wonder you won 1st place!
Hugs, Tammy

Fiki said...

wow! its gorgeous!
hugs

Carol L said...

Well how creative is this piece, and congrats on winning the blue ribbon too! Yes, I've gotten crafty with old game pieces. I once bought an older SU! background stamp which was all sentiments, and instead of leaving them all together, I cut them apart and attached each one separately to an old set of dominoes so I can now stamp them easily! Nowhere near as creative as your project, but hey! I used my old dominoes :)

Rhonda Miller said...

I love this.

Lori Kobular said...

Wow! Congratulations on your win! This project is absolutely precious! Love all the details!

Beebeebabs said...

Gorgeous creation thanks for sharing!!!

Donna Ellis said...

How fun to see your beautiful flashback creations! Congratulations on this pearly loveliness! XOXO

Debra K. said...

Absolutely gorgeous Vicki! I'm not all surprised this won first place. I really love how you've stamped on the dominos with the different images and script. The alcohol inks and the gold pen have aged them beautifully. Wonderful embellishing and putting it altogether in the tin was a fabulous idea. Debra x

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning Vicki and big congrats.xx
Have a lovely weekend.♥
[aNNie]

jimlynn said...

I'm not a bit surprised that this was a winner! So beautiful. I love your flashback project!
Lynn

Donna said...

What a stunning creation and congrats on your win!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I am a Fan Club Member- but Oh how I love seeing this again! This is just gorgeous!!!

Mac Mable said...

Yey on the win with this unique and special project. I have never ever seen anything like this before. So creative, clever and gorgeous x

Nana Connie said...

WOW, Vicki, and a huge congratulations! First Prize was well deserved, I'd say. :-D

Pia S said...

This sure is a decorative piece a d you've been creative with all the elements you've used. Not surprised this piece caught the attention of the judges...

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! Amazing! I can see why it took 1st Prize! Congratulations!

Team Clark said...

What an amazing project, so worthy of a win! Congratulations. I truly love this! Hugs, Autumn

crafty-stamper said...

WOW this ia absolutely amazing Vicki no wonder it won first prize -it is inspiring love the stamps and all the pearls-and as for the furniture--go for it
Carol x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Somehow I've missed out on a LOT of your work lately. I can't believe I missed all those beautiful cards, and this latest article you brought back. I can see why you won such an honor, and I'd be proud of it, too. It's a genuine beauty.

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Wow... this is so amazing and wonderful...
Hugs Anja

Dawn Frost said...

Wow Vicki gorgeous, just gorgeous! Congratulations on 1st prize!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW it looks really cool Vicki.
Cheers
Dr Sonia

MiamiKel said...

Congratulations Vicki on your first place ribbon!! I'm not surprised though as it's gorgeous! So much detail and the design is great :) Hugs!!

Lynn McAuley said...

It should be sporting the Best of Show ribbon! This is awesome, Vicki!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...